There are some new requirements introduced in order to professionalize and improve the 560 hour part-time academy. You will need to contact your Mobile Team Unit (MTU) Coordinator for details. Please keep in mind that due to monetary and personnel limitations, not all MTUs will be able to offer the part-time training program. Agencies interested in enrolling a recruit in the part-time academy must perform the following tasks:
- File a FORM E, Notice of Appointment form with the Board office, which shows the initial date of active employment for the recruit and enables ILETSB to assign the officer a Police Training Board Identification Number (PTBID), which is required for all paperwork.
- Contact the Mobile Team Unit (MTU) offering the Part-Time Basic Law Enforcement Training Academy to request an enrollment packet for your recruit.
- MTUs offering the PT Course will be posted on the individual MTU website
- Once you have completed the enrollment packet and returned it to the MTU by the part-time academy enrollment deadline, you will need to request a POWER test date. Be advised that within 6 months from the recruit's initial date of hire, they must successfully pass the POWER test to become enrolled in the part-time academy. Failure to meet this first hurdle of successfully passing the POWER test by the 6 month deadline and/or the academy enrollment deadline will automatically prevent the recruit from being enrolled in the course.
(Note: Doctors release forms are good for 60 days only). Many MTUs have pre-set POWER test dates to coincide with the start date of their part-time academy. Those dates may be found posted on their individual websites.
- In addition, the 40-hour MFT requirement must be met within 6 months from the initial date of employment. (50 ILCS 710/2). Contact your MTU for a schedule of course offerings
With the increase in curriculum hours, compounded by the fact that minimum and maximum student enrollment requirements will be established, space in some classes may be limited so the Board recommends that Chiefs and Sheriffs coordinate with their respective MTU Directors for start dates. This will ensure time requirements are satisfied.
Feel free to contact Jan Allen or Fred Kientzle, if you have questions. Please watch for additional information in the near future.